Two High School Seniors Win $15,000 Barnes Scholarship
For one student, it was being "the poor kid". For another, it was growing up a world away from his father, now a disabled U.S. Army veteran. This year's winners of the Barnes Scholarships, sponsored by the Tampa Bay Times Fund, embody much more than the adversity they have faced. Yet their academic and personal triumphs in spite of the odds distinguished these high school seniors. " The recipients were honored at a luncheon at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg on April 28th were they were congratulated on their hard work and determination to exceed.
Four winners for the Barnes Scholarship are usually selected annually to help college-bound teens who are high academic achievers and who have overcome significant obstacles in their lives. The Barnes Scholarships, offered through the Tampa Bay Times Fund, Inc., were established in 1999 and named for Andrew Barnes, former chairman and CEO of Times Publishing Co.
To learn more about the Barnes Scholarship or about the other winners please visit http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/hed-news-offleadyyyy/2220535.
- Exciting Opportunity for Teachers to Transform Lives
- Board Members in the Community: June 19-23
- School is out for Summer but the Need for Nutritious Meals Continues
- Board Members in the Community: June 12-13
- Joint Press Release - Hillsborough school district and teachers’ union reach tentative agreement including raises, bonuses, child care assistance, and other benefits