HCPS Transportation Employees Donate 80 New Bikes
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (December 13, 2016) – Hillsborough County Public Schools magnet school bus drivers and transportation employees have been fundraising for months and have raised enough money to buy 80 new bikes for children this Christmas.
On Wednesday, December 14, drivers will deliver the bikes to the Metropolitan Ministries tent located at 905 Governor St., Tampa, between 10:30-11:00 a.m. The employees will arrive in a school bus with the bikes on board.
Transportation employees raised money last year and were able to collect two bikes which were donated to Metropolitan Ministries. This year, the magnet drivers challenged each of the four bus ramps to bring in two bikes. The response has been overwhelming with 80 bikes to date and still counting. The drivers purchased the bikes, helmets and other accessories which will all be delivered to Metropolitan Ministries.
Our transportation employees have a key role in the success of our students, ensuring they get to and from school each day safely and on time. Our drivers are the first person many of our students see each morning and the last person they see before they head home. Our drivers know the need in the community and are grateful they can do their part to ensure there are smiles on children’s faces on Christmas morning.
Photo below represents some of the bikes that will be donated.
- Soles Shaping Souls: Eighth grader's mission to provide shoes to kids is off and running
- King cadets celebrate at military ball and honor retiring Captain
- Tempting Tastebuds at the 9th Annual Fresh Flavors Food Show -School lunch is not what it used to be-
- Slither and splash your way to Nature’s Classroom at open house this Saturday
- Board Members in the Community: April 26 - May 2