WHAT IS THE OPERATIONS TRAINING INSTITUTE?
The Operations Training Institute (OTI) is a continuing education pathway of core courses and activities designed to provide current and aspiring managers and supervisors with opportunities to increase their leadership knowledge and skill levels—thereby improving the effectiveness, efficiency, and accountability of the Operations Division of HCPS. The OTI will launch with the Maintenance Department as its pilot group.
The six courses - Budget Management, Conflict Resolution, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Project Management, and Team Building will ensure current and aspiring leaders within the Maintenance Department will have exposure to the foundational skills and tools necessary to lead their teams.
Current supervisors and managers are automatically enrolled into the OTI. Aspiring leaders’ enrollment into the OTI is strictly voluntary and is open to anyone who is an employee within the HCPS Maintenance Department.
- Core Course Enrollment is Sept. 1-15, 2019 through an online portal
- Six courses: Weekday evenings and Saturday mornings, October 2019 through March 2020
- All current managers and supervisors, and all aspiring managers and supervisors are required to complete the six courses
- The Self-Assessment Tool, which is available for completion June 17 – July 1, 2019, provides opportunities to guide growth
- For current leaders, development of your Individualized Professional Development Plan upon course completion
OTI - Path to Maintenance Leadership
- Acknowledge Interest in Leadership Path
A member of the Operations organization acknowledges their interest in Leadership and submits a candidate profile for assessment and screening.
- Foundational Courses
Current and aspiring leaders complete Maintenance foundational courses-Effective Communication, Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, Team Building, Conflict Resolution, Budget and Project Management-during a 120 day period. Foundational Courses certificate is issued upon successful completion.
An Individual Professional Development Plan (IPDP) is developed for current and newly promoted leaders from the self-assessment tool.
- Maintenance Leadership Training
Maintenance leader schedules courses that align with their IPDP. Coursework is taken during a six-month period.
- OTI Certification
Maintenance leader completes coursework and earns Operations Training Institute (OTI) certification.
June 17 – July 1, 2019
Current and aspiring Maintenance leaders complete and submit the electronic Self-Assessment Tool
September 1, 2019
Core Course Enrollment
October 1, 2019
Core Courses Begin
Core Course Completion and OTI Certification
Development of Individualized Professional Development Plan (IPDP) for Current Leaders
For more information, contact...
Facilities Maintenance Support, Department Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Operations Training Institute (OTI)?
A continuing education pathway of core courses and activities designed to provide current and aspiring managers and supervisors with opportunities to increase their leadership knowledge and skill levels—thereby improving the effectiveness, efficiency and accountability of the Maintenance Department of Hillsborough County Public Schools.
- Who is eligible to enroll into the Operations Training Institute?
All persons employed in the Maintenance Department of the HCPS are eligible to enroll into the OTI.
- How do you enroll into the Operations Training Institute?
Employees of Maintenance Department of the Hillsborough County Public Schools can enroll by completing the Self-Assessment Tool, available online.
- What is the Self-Assessment Tool and how will it be used?
The self-assessment tool assesses your current Maintenance operations-related leadership competencies and provides a guide for your enrollment in the Operations Training Institute (OTI).
- When and where will the continuing education core courses be offered?
The continuing education core courses will be offered on scheduled weekday afternoon/evenings and Saturday mornings. The classed will be offered at a Hillsborough County Public Schools location to be identified when the schedule is released.
- How many core courses are there and how many hours are each of the core courses?
There are six core courses, and each will be up to one month in length.
- How do you enroll into the core courses?
Enrollment into core courses can be done via the Maintenance Department website. The course schedule and enrollment link will be available 24 hours a day, September 1 – September 15, 2019.
- Do I have to take all the core courses even if I’ve taken some of them?
Yes, all current managers and supervisors are required to successfully complete all the identified core courses. This enrollment is mandatory for aspiring managers and supervisors.
- What happens if I’m not able to complete all six of the required core courses by March 2020?
Extenuating circumstances or life in general require some level of flexibility. We will work with employees on an individual basis to determine a solution that meets the needs of both the individual OTI enrollee and the Maintenance Department.
- Who will speak with me about my Individualized Professional Development Plan (IPDP)?
Your supervisor and an associate from Morrison and Associates will help you to develop your IPDP.
- Will I get a promotion to leadership (supervisor/manager) after completing my self-assessment and the required core courses?
No. Submission of the self-assessment tool and completion of the required core courses does not lead to automatic promotion.
- What is the cost of OTI courses?
The courses are free. You only need to give of your time.