Major Announcement from Publix Benefits Hillsborough Schools Students
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (August 28, 2017) – Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins and School Board members will join Todd Jones, CEO and President of Publix Super Markets and Tina Johnson, Treasurer of Publix Super Markets Charities, for a major announcement from Publix on Tuesday, August 29, from 9:30-10:30 a.m., at Mort Elementary, A Community School. Mort Elementary is located at 1806 E. Bearss Ave., Tampa.
Publix, the largest employee-owned grocery chain in the United States, will make a significant donation to support basic needs for Hillsborough County Public Schools students and families.
Eight schools will be identified to receive these basic needs through this exciting partnership. More than 64% of students in Hillsborough County Public Schools qualify for free and reduced price meals. The district also provides free breakfast for every student, regardless of income. Breakfast and lunch at school are often the only reliable meals students receive throughout the day.
Hunger is a serious concern across Hillsborough County. Students who are hungry have trouble concentrating and a lack of a healthy, nutritious meal can affect a student’s emotional, social and cognitive learning.
- Tampa Foundation inspires Mort students through Sidewalk Painting Project
- Community partners work together to keep students safe on school buses and in school zones. Stop on Red, Kids Ahead!
- Why #WeAchieveTogether: Teacher James Michaud
- HART MVP Express brings Hillsborough Schools Bucs fans closer to the action
- School Board Workshop to be Rescheduled