Superintendent Eakins Named Administrator of the Year by American Heart Association
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (September 19, 2017) – In a surprise announcement at today’s School Board meeting, Hillsborough County Public Schools Superintendent Jeff Eakins was named the national Administrator of the Year, by the American Heart Association.
The American Heart Association chose Superintendent Eakins for his commitment to student health by ensuring heart healthy programs are part of the district’s Strategic Plan. In May 2015, Hands-Only CPR was approved by the district, making it a graduation requirement, with the goal of educating approximately 12,000 students each year in high school.
During the 2016-2017 school year, through Superintendent Eakins’ leadership:
- 96,768 students and families received Heart Healthy messages that include lifesaving information on heart attack and stroke warning signs
- Our district raised $327,123 for the fight against heart attack and stroke, a 15% increase over the prior year, placing the district as the #7 fundraising school district in the country
- 6,576 elementary students took the Heart Healthy Challenge: exercising for 60 minutes a day and choosing Heart Healthy foods and drinks
Superintendent Eakins also created an internal American Heart Association District Leadership team to discuss current priorities with respect to engaging the greatest numbers of students, staff, parents and schools.
Several hundred candidates were taken into consideration for the annual Administrator of the Year award. The recipient is chosen by an American Heart Association Executive Leadership Team at their national center.
Eric Stommes, the Youth Market Director with the American Heart Association, presented a plaque to Superintendent Eakins and remarked, “Candidates came from 32,000 schools throughout the country. We believe this award is well-earned and well-deserved. Superintendent Eakins promotes health and wellness throughout the district and that is truly saving lives.”
Please see this link for photos of Superintendent Eakins being recognized: http://bit.ly/2xPoXYt
- Potter's Head Start Teacher honored as Florida’s Teacher of the Year
- Shields Honored as SouthShore Chamber's School of the Month
- Pasos al Futuro College Information Nights “En Español”
- Board Members in the Community: October 15-18
- Tampa Foundation inspires Mort students through Sidewalk Painting Project