Students Compete in Science Olympics Events
For Immediate Release
Contact: Tanya Arja
Office of Communications
Tampa, Fla. – (October 25, 2017) – Elementary-aged students from Hillsborough County Public Schools will compete in highly visual and exciting events at the 2017-2018 Science Olympics competition over two Saturdays, October 28 and November 4, at the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI).
Elementary-aged students will showcase their engineering, creativity and problem-solving skills as they compete in heats in grades K-5. The heats will take place from 8 a.m.- 2 p.m. in different areas of the museum. MOSI is located at 4801 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa.
The students first competed at their school level. The winners at each school now will compete as a team on the district level against teams from other schools in the following events:
- Kindergarten students – Skyscrapers
- 1st grade – Aqua Foils
- 2nd grade – Paper Airplanes
- 3rd grade – Balloon Racers
- 4th grade – Marshmallow Flyers
- 5th grade – Marble Coasters
The elementary Science Olympics competition takes place over two Saturdays due to the level of participation from elementary students. More than 1000 students are expected to compete. The winners at the district level will then advance to the finals on November 14.
- Potter's Head Start Teacher honored as Florida’s Teacher of the Year
- Shields Honored as SouthShore Chamber's School of the Month
- Pasos al Futuro College Information Nights “En Español”
- Board Members in the Community: October 15-18
- Tampa Foundation inspires Mort students through Sidewalk Painting Project